fredag 13 april 2012

Alexanderteknik för utövare av kamsport och annan fysisk träning

Med glädje låter jag dig ta del av Spyro Katsigiannis reflektioner över Alexanderteknik och hur tekniken är ett redskap som underlättar både hans träning och hans liv för övrigt!


The Alexander Technique is one of those ideas that I would classify either under the category of “too good to be true”, or under the category “it’s so simple, it’s pure genius”.
On an emotional level, I will never cease to be impressed by the uncanny ability of an experienced Alexander Technique teacher, such as Barbro Olsson, to lightly touch the small of my back and detect excessive tension in my thigh muscles – and she’s absolutely right each and every single time she does it! The thing is that if she can sense it, I can become aware of it and that can only be good!
On an intellectual level, I can’t help but think that, by helping shine a light on our movement habits, the Alexander Technique provides us with awareness and the option to correct the inefficient ones. Mind you, it’s not about replacing bad habits with good ones – it’s about recognizing habits for what they are, and consciously choose whether to succumb to them or not. In mindfulness, there is freedom – or so I think.
On a purely pragmatic level, as a veteran practitioner and teacher of martial arts / combat sports and a strength training coach, I am very grateful for getting lessons in the Alexander Technique from Barbro, for the most pedestrian and unglamorous of reasons: my technique has become way more powerful with much less effort, my movement is more graceful (or so people tell me), my breathing is easier and deeper, and my chronic injuries (including herniated discs in my lower back, a torn meniscus in my right knee and tendinosis in my right shoulder) seem to be a lot less annoying. As an added bonus, my everyday-life tasks, such as sitting in front of a computer, prolonged driving or walking my dog feel less demanding.
Regardless of whether you are practicing some kind of physical discipline (sports, martial arts, dancing etc), I highly recommend taking Alexander Technique lessons with Barbro. Awareness of your body and freedom of movement can improve your life in more ways than you can imagine. It’s one of those ideas that is so simple, it’s pure genious!


(För intressant och kompetensutvecklande läsning gå gärna in på http://www.dynamoclub.se)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar